Senior Software Developer - Ruby
We’re Charlie, a beautifully designed, easy to use HR software for small companies. Our product makes hard things simple, has the warmth of a human, and ensures no team member is left behind.
We work to run, build and change small companies so they can run, build and change the world.
Come and help us to create a world that works better.
In this role you will:
- Build and improve features in Charlie, a Rails app using the latest versions of Rails and Ruby
- Use our design system to ship functional and beautiful features that look and feel like Charlie
- Work in a cross-functional team with other developers, designers, product managers, and other key business roles
- Work with developers of all experience levels to ensure you’re constantly both learning and knowledge sharing
- Feedback into product and business decisions and make your mark on Charlie
A typical week will include:
- Shipping new code multiple times a day
- Pairing with other developers and reviewing code to maintain a high code quality and share knowledge across the team
- Team and company-wide meetings where we discuss strategy, provide updates and share feedback
- You have years of professional experience working with Ruby on Rails
- You have a strong understanding of how to build high quality web applications
- You pride yourself on high standards and the use of best practices, whilst always finding ways to be more effective
- You can communicate excellently on a range of technical and non-technical topics
- You’re driven to join us in building a successful product
Particular knowledge of any technology beyond Ruby and Rails is not required. That said, here’s what we work with:
- Ruby: Rails, Sidekiq, RSpec, Devise
- Infrastructure: Heroku, PostgreSQL, Redis, CI, Stripe API
We are an equal opportunities employer and believe in the power of a diverse, inclusive team. We welcome applications from all suitably qualified people, regardless of race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
You’ll be joining a company that:
- Works in small cross-functional teams with OKRs, so your work is always focused, goal-driven and agile
- Is at an incredibly exciting stage of growth
- Is made up of 30 close-knit, ambitious and dedicated people who genuinely enjoy spending time together!
- Has a clear and transparent career progression framework
- Believes in helping every employee develop professionally along their chosen career path
- Core office hours (Monday - Thursday 10-3, Tuesday & Friday 10-5:30)
- £500 yearly learning budget
- Social events (Team breakfasts/lunches, evenings out & 2 yearly company retreats)
- Equity options
- "Work on Whatever" days
- Bike to work scheme