Senior Software Developer - Ruby
We’re Charlie, a beautifully designed, easy to use HR software for small companies. We believe that building a company is hard, running one shouldn’t be.
Our product enables small companies to automate many of the administrative headaches that they experience as they scale, and gives those who run businesses more of what they need the most... time!
We exist to run, build and change small companies so they can run, build and change the world.
Come and help us to create a world that works better.
In this role you will:
- Build and improve features in Charlie, a Rails app using the latest versions of Rails and Ruby
- Work in a cross-functional team with other developers, designers, product managers, and other key business roles
- Be expected to feedback into product and business decisions and make your mark on Charlie
A typical week will include:
- Shipping new code multiple times a day
- Pairing with other developers and reviewing code to maintain a high code quality and share knowledge across the team
- Weekly team and company meetings where we discuss strategy, provide updates and share feedback
- You have at least 5 years of professional experience working with Ruby on Rails
- You have a good understanding of how web applications work
- You pride yourself on high standards and the use of best practices, whilst always finding ways to be more effective
- You have excellent communication skills and a positive attitude
- You’re a self-starter and driven to join us in building a successful product very quickly
Particular knowledge of any technology beyond Ruby and Rails is not required. That said, here’s what we work with:
- Ruby: Rails, Sidekiq, RSpec, Capybara
- Infrastructure: Heroku, Postgresql, Redis
We are an equal opportunities employer and believe in the power of a diverse, inclusive team. We welcome applications from all suitably qualified people, regardless of race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
You’ll be joining a company that:
- Works in small cross-functional teams with OKRs, so your work is always focused, goal-driven and agile
- Is at an incredibly exciting stage of growth
- Is made up of a very close-knit, ambitious and dedicated team of 15-20 who genuinely enjoy spending time together
- Believes there is nothing more important than personal development
- Core office hours (Monday - Thursday 10-3, Tuesday & Friday 10-5:30)
- £500 yearly learning budget
- Social events (Team breakfasts/lunches, evenings out & 2 yearly company retreats)
- Equity options
- WOW (work on whatever) days
- Bike to work scheme