Junior Software Developer
We’re Charlie, a beautifully designed, easy to use HR software for small companies. We believe that building a company is hard, running one shouldn’t be.
Our product enables small companies to automate many of the administrative headaches that they experience as they scale, and gives those who run businesses more of what they need the most... time!
We exist to run, build and change small companies so they can run, build and change the world.
Come and help us to create a world that works better.
In this role you will:
- Build and improve features in Charlie, a Rails app using the latest versions of Rails and Ruby
- Work in a cross-functional team with other developers, designers, product managers, and other key business roles
- Learn a huge amount in a short period of time
A typical week will include:
- Shipping new code multiple times a day
- Pairing with other developers and participating in code reviews to maintain a high code quality and share knowledge across the team
- Team and company meetings where we discuss strategy, provide updates and share feedback
You must have:
- Excellent communication skills and a positive attitude; you’re able to thrive in a team environment
- Computer and internet knowledge; you understand how they work!
And the nice to haves:
- Experience with a web framework such as Ruby on Rails
- Professional programming experience (eg. an internship or similar work experience)
- Examples of fantastic teamwork (eg. a team project at university)
- An knowledge of databases and SQL (eg. PostgreSQL)
- Experience with Version Control (eg. Git)
- Written unit tests for your code
No specific knowledge of the below is necessary, but we know it’s useful to know these things! Here’s what we work with:
- Ruby: Rails, Sidekiq, RSpec, Capybara
- Infrastructure: Heroku, Postgresql, Redis
We are an equal opportunities employer and believe in the power of a diverse, inclusive team. We welcome applications from all suitably qualified people, regardless of race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
You’ll be joining a company that:
- Constantly encourages questions and feedback
- Puts a strong emphasis on always learning and always teaching
- Works in small, focussed cross-functional teams
- Is made up of 20 close-knit, ambitious and dedicated people who genuinely enjoy spending time together!
- Flexible holiday allowance
- Core office hours (Monday, Wednesday & Thursday 10-3, Tuesday & Friday 10-6)
- £500 yearly learning budget
- Social events (Team breakfasts/lunches, evenings out & 2 yearly company retreats)
- WOW (work on whatever) days
- Bike to work scheme